ERC Junior U18 Coaching Opportunity
14 January 2022
Are you interested in cycling, coaching, and working with young people?
Are you interested in cycling, coaching, and working with young people? Then coaching the ERC U18 Race team might be a great opportunity for you! The ERC Junior U18 race team typically includes 6 to 8 boys and girls between the ages of 16 and 18 participating in competitive road, track, and off-road cycling events. The membership primarily includes young people that have graduated from the ERC youth programme, but we also welcome kids from other clubs that do not have a youth section. Our aim is to support U18 racers and help them achieve their cycling goals. Although these junior athletes are primarily responsible for their own training programmes the coach’s role is to be a point of contact for information/support; to facilitate group engagement; to organise group activities; and manage expenditure of allocated club funds. The coach will be supported by members of the ERC committee, but we welcome interested candidates to bring in their own vision and energy to the role. We anticipate the scope of the coaching effort will include many of the following elements:
- Administer a closed group social media channel for communication and engagement (e.g. WhatsApp, Telegram, Facebook, other)
- Organise race team group training rides (approximately 2 rides per month)
- Organise virtual Zwift Meet-Up rides (weekly)
- Support offseason strength and conditioning gym programme based on information available from British Cycling
- Work with riders to help them develop high-level plans to support their racing ambitions considering race types, training, and associated logistics.
- Encourage participation in ERC sponsored races, weekly time-trial series, and club rides.
- Conduct periodic team meetings to promote discussion and sharing of experiences
- Arrange a presentation or workshop with a qualified speaker such as a nutritionist, sports physiologist, or professional athlete.
- Attend races (when possible) to observe ongoings and show support.
- Manage allocated funds in an equitable manner across the team, typical expenses include helmets/kit, fitness tests, entry fees, travel expenses, etc.
- Provide periodic updates to the ERC Committee in respect of Junior U18 Race Team successes, needs or concerns.
Formal qualifications required for the coaching position are as follows:
- First Aid Certificate
- Child Wellbeing & Protection in Sport (CWPS)
- British Cycling Level 1 Coach Qualification or equivalent via Recognised Prior Experience (RPEL)
- British Cycling Level 2 Coaching Qualification
Note: ERC will reimburse cost of obtaining, renewing, and maintaining the above courses.
If this opportunity is of interest to you or someone you know please contact Steve Canney at firstname.lastname@example.org or on mobile at 0780 179 4008.